DISPELLING MYTHS ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE
Where do I start? What I’m about to do is list every myth, every misconception, every racist rant I’ve been privy to hear. Some I’ve experienced, others I’ve only heard about. There’s so many I’m not sure how long this list will be. If you have something to add please do. By acknowledging the ignorance we can dispel the myths and look at each other in a different light.
1. All people of color are black.
2. If you’re black you live in the ghetto.
3. People who are black are poor.
4. We are uneducated. We don’t have college degrees or pursue professional careers.
5. We call each other nigger as a term of endearment.
6. We don’t live in two-parent homes.
7. We all have bad credit.
8. Black men are in jail or violent.
9. Our role models are pimps and drug dealers.
10. If you see a black woman who takes care of herself she’s a video vixen, prostitute, or golddigger.
11. All black people can sing and dance.
12. All black men and women are good in sports.
13. If you’re black you only like Hip Hop and R & B music.
14. We have no knowledge of classical music or appreciation of opera.
15. All black women want to get married.
16. If a black man is successful they only marry white women.
17. We don’t appreciate poetry and writing.
18. We don’t live outside the U.S. or speak other languages.
19. All black people are American born.
20. All black people go to church.
21. All black people consider themselves African.
22. Most black people know their African roots.
23. All black people watch/watched black television shows.
24. All black people know each other.
25. We all live in the larger cities.
26. None of us are farmers or live in rural areas.
27. All black people are racist against white people.
28. We are not financially responsible and keep our money under a mattress.
29. Black people are not affected by mental illness and never get depressed.
30. All black people eat pork and especially chicken.
31. We fry everything we eat.
32. No black person is vegetarian or vegan.
33. Black men don’t take care of their children.
34. Black women are single mothers.
35. The only people that represent us in Hollywood are people live Spike Lee and Tyler Perry.
36. Black people don’t vote.
37. We’re not interested in serving our community.
38. The only black leaders we have are Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Louis Farrakhan, and of course President Obama.
39. All black people are Democrats.
40. None of us belong to the Republican Party.
41. We don’t watch the news and we’re not interested in what goes on in the world.
42. We’re not concerned about politics.
43. Black women don’t like each other.
44. We speak Ebonics and are inarticulate.
45. Black men don’t know their Fathers.
46. Black women have big butts and big lips.
47. Black people are overweight.
48. We wear cheap clothes.
49. We spend all our money on cars.
50. We don’t own our homes.
51. We aren’t beautiful.
52. We aren’t intelligent.
53. We’re looking to work for somebody.
54. All our grandparents and parents were slaves or maids.
55. Light-skinned blacks don’t like dark-skinned blacks.
56. All black men are well-endowed.
57. All black women are freaks in bed.
58. Black people don’t pay their taxes.
59. Black women have a lot of children so they can get government benefits.
60. Black teenagers account for most teen pregnancies.
61. We are the ones selling drugs.
62. If a black man isn’t working he’s probably a criminal.
63. We don’t know about having nice things.
64. Black men and women are just like the people you see on TV.
65. Every black person in America wants to be Oprah.
66. Black men don't want to work and they're not looking for a job.
67. Black couples don't stay married.
I could keep typing, but I’m sure you can add to the list. When we begin to accept our differences and let go of these stereotypes; life will get better for all of us.